Below are the details of what we did in International Mathematics over the past few days.
From 25th July to 29th July,
- A detailed discussion was done on quadratic sequence and cubic sequence through worked examples of each of the sequence.
- After this, students solved exercise 2.42 and exercise 2.43 from their IM book.
- Then, we started with Geometric sequence wherein students were taught how Geometric Sequence is different from Arithmetic Sequence and the general formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence
- Based on the explanation of Geometric Sequence, students solved exercise 2.44 till Q4.
From 1st August to 5th August,
- After Geometric Sequence, we started with compound interest as an example of geometric sequence wherein students were taught how amount can be calculated after certain no. of years using the formula of Geometric sequence with the help of a worked example given in their IM book.
- With this, students were also shown Q5 of exercise 2.44 which was based on Compound Interest and Q6 of exercise 2.44 were given to them to be done on their own. Hence we could complete all the exercises (from 2.41 to 2.44) of the unit- Sequences from their IM book.
- During this week, we also had an event of Math which was- Click Mathematica which was conducted during Assembly slot on 3rd Students presented their chart work which had different pictures clicked by them on the concepts they were provided with. The pictures/images clicked by them were of the things they see around them which had Mathematical concept involved.
- Apart from text-book exercises, they were also provided with 2 worksheets of Sequences for extra practice, the doubts and the answers of which were discussed later in the next week.
From 08th August to 12th August,
- We started this week with a discussion on the 2 worksheets of sequences which were provided to them through Google Classroom. These worksheets catered to different types of questions on Sequences which helped the students to have a better understanding of the concept.
- Then, we began with the new unit in this week, Unit no- 5 Quadratic Equations. First of all, we had a quick discussion on what a Quadratic equation is and how it is different from Linear Equation. Along with this, they were also shown the general form of Quadratic EquationÃ‚Â which is ax2 + bx +c=0.
- With this, they also had a quick revision of one of the methods of solving Quadratic Equations, which is Factorising Method, as it was taught last year also. Then, they were directed to solve exercise 2.24, 2.25 and 2.26 from their IM book wherein they had to solve all the given quadratic equations using Factorising method.
- After this method, they were taught another method of solving Quadratic Equations, which is Completing the Square Method, with the help of few examples. Before they could actually understand and solve the quadratic equations using the method of Completing the Square Method, they were first given an idea of what are perfect square numbers, what are trinomials, what are perfect square trinomials and how to make a square of a binomial from a perfect square trinomial. Based on this explanation, it was then easier for them to solve the quadratic equations given in exercise 2.27 as per Completing the Square Method.
From 16th August to 19th August, 2016
- We started this week with the explanation of Quadratic Formula Method. To begin this, they were first explained the derivation of the Formula of Formula Method.
- Then a few examples of Quadratic Equations to be solved using Formula Method were shown to them in one of the slots which made it easier for them to solve exercise 2.27 again with Quadratic Formula Method.
- During the last slot of this week, they were given a few questions of Quadratic Equations in the class which were asked to be solved using different methods learnt till date. Hence, it was a sort of revision of all the three methods of Quadratic Equations for them.