Dear Students and Parents,
Please find the first term assessment syllabus and details below:
|Criteria||Units covering this criterion|
|Criterion A: Knowing and Understanding||
Who Are We?
|Criterion B: Inquiring and Designing||
|Criterion C: Processing and Evaluating||
|Criterion D: Reflecting on the impact of science||
Who Are We?
|Unit Name||Topic List|
|Who Are We?||
– Genes and its inheritance
– Structure of DNA
– Protein synthesis
– DNA replication
– Cell division: Mitosis and Meiosis
– Cell differentiation
– Punnett square
– Application of genetics
– Human genome project
-Wave and its properties
-Types of waves
-Reflection and its effects
-Image formation by a Plane mirror and its applications
-Image formation by Curved mirrors and its applications
-Refraction and its effects
-Total Internal Reflection
– Lenses and its Applications
– Soundwave: Properties and Applications
– Experimental cycle
– Versatile nature of Carbon
– various Carbon compounds around us
– Detection presence of Hydrogen and Carbon in a compound
– Hydrocarbons and their homologous series
– IUPAC nomenclature system
– Derivatives of hydrocarbon and their functional groups
– Properties of Alkanes, Alkenes, Alcohols and carboxylic acids
– The difference in properties of mineral and organic acids
– Separating techniques- Separating funnel, simple and fractional distillation
– Refining of petroleum
– Plastic and its types, Uses, and properties
– Paper will include questions of all 3 disciplines of Science together.
– Duration of the paper will be 2 hours.
– The examination will be On-screen and catering to all 4 criteria.
- Questions will be asked based on the Criteria of individual unit assessed during Summative Assessments. Eg: If a Unit-X has catered to learning objective A- strand (i), (ii) and objective B-strand (i) only, then the questions from this unit will only be asked in Criteria A and B.
- Fully charged Chromebook will be required along with personal stationery and earphones. In case your Chromebook is given for repair, bring a receipt for the same.
- All the resources shared on Curricle(subject resource sheet and google presentation), Google Classroom as well as the worksheets provided(online or in hard copy) will be considered as a part of the syllabus and will be sufficient to prepare for the examination.
- Paper will include MCQ-type questions, short and long responses.
Important points for Assessment in Science:
The assessment will cater to all four criteria of Science and will include questions based on individual criterion:
- Criterion A is Knowing and Understanding where teachers try to evaluate scientific knowledge from all the units covered
- Criterion B is Inquiring and Designing which is based on designing a scientific investigation to solve a specific problem given
- Criterion C is Processing and Evaluating which caters to interpreting and giving a solution to the problem and
- Criterion D is Reflecting on the Impact of Science where students will be assessed on how well do they connect scientific knowledge gained with its real-life applications
MYP Science Team.