Reflections of Term 1
First Day of the School.
On the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, teachers were excited to welcome learners and were all set to start the Academic Session of 2011. ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â The eager learners were assembled in the assembly and the teachers were busy sorting them section wise (Jr.kg Red, Blue, White…….).
We were faced with a variety of learners, Few were excited to see their teachers, class, friends etc, few were crying, cranky in the scenario, and there was even some element of surprise in the air etc. At last the learners were sorted as per their sections.
ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Procedures and routines were introduced to the learners which helped them to settle down in their classes. They are required to abide by these procedures and routines for effortless (easy) functioning of the class. Gradually they settled down in the class.
The procedures & routines which learners follow daily are listed below:
Procedures for the classroom(These are the same across all the Jr.kg classes
- We enter the class on time after getting off the bus, after every activity and breaks.
- After settling we take our washroom break and then get started with our activity.
- We keep our bags / diaries / Tiffin boxes / water bottles (filled and empty) and any other belongings properly at their places within 5 minutes of entering the class.
- We keep our shoes at their allocated place/shoe racks.
- We sit on our preÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œ allotted places.
- We form a circle.(teacher will move her finger clock wise for circle time)
- We raise our hands and wait for our turn to speak.(children have to put one finger on their lips & have to raise another hand for their turn)
- We talk on topic related things.(if children go off track then teacher will move her hands in opposite direction)
- We will keep our resources in their respective places after every activity (teacher will keep buzzing with any musical sound until they pack-up)
- We seek our attention towards teacher (teacher will first clap 3 times than 2 times & then 1 time.)
- We useÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â class stationery carefully
- We walk in pairs quietly on the left side. (teachers will show two fingers to the children & they have to make a pair line for music, PE, Library & one finger for single line.)
- We wash our hands before and after eating.
- We share our resources with our friends.
- We use the magic words like THANKYOU, PLEASE, SORRY, EXCUSE ME, wherever necessary.
Some pictures of learners following procedures & routines:
Assembly of early years (pre-primary):
During assembly the Learners assemble in the assembly and are exposed to various events which enhance their learning. Events are like puppet shows, drama (stories), celebrations of various festivals, etc and our National anthem.
Events which were conducted are:-
- Drama on 5 little monkeys had nothing to do
- Drama on safety during ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â the Monsoon season
- Drama on safety rules in bus.
- Hindi Saptah
- Puppet show by Sr. kg teachers.
- Festivals- Janmasthmi, Ganesh Chaturthi, Independence Day.
- Book week
Activities conducted in the class (Academics)
Central idea: We find different materials in the environment and they behave differently.
Elements covered in this unit were:
Learner profile: Knowledgeable, Inquirer, Reflective
Concepts: Form, Change
Attitudes: Curiosity, Enthusiasm.
Trans disciplinary Skills: Research Skills, Thinking skills, Communication skills, Social skills, Self management skills.
ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â The unit on Materials began with the Tuning in activity where the learners were taken for a Nature Walk.
Learners were exposed to differentÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â types of materials during tuning in activity.
There were experiments demonstrated by the teacher which helped the learners to build an understanding based on their prior knowledge.ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â The learners explored different kinds of materials and their properties which enabled them to associate and connect them with their real life. These exploration activities developed learners Skills: Research Skills, Thinking skills, Communication skills, Social skills, Self management skills.
- ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Soluble-Insoluble, Float-Sink
Learners were enthusiastic and curious (attitudes) to explore materials and to learn different properties.ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â Overall the unit was quite interesting for the learners as they were able to learn from exploring and playing.
Strand: Oral, written & visual communication.
Learners learning -Alphabets from Aa ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œ Hh,
Learners were exposed to a wide range of vocabulary while learning each alphabet.
High frequency words.
Learners have started framing sentences using high frequency words which helped them in their conversation.
Author study– Jonathan London (Froggy series)
Learners enjoyed the escapades of the character Froggy, which was presented by the teacher through mediums like- books, drama, videos, puppet shows etc. Learners were motivated to perform the stories through drama.
Learners were keen to sing songs and rhymes, which were related to the UOI, language, math festivals and bi-lingual songs as well. ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â This activity aided in their Language Skills by developing their listening, speaking & presentation skills.
Strand ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œ Numbers & Measurement, Temperature, Sizes, Directions (Pre math concepts).
Numbers: Learners practicing backward, forward, middle, between numbers, counting objects, backward/forward counting with manipulatives & through different strategies. ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â
Pre math Concepts: Learners have started using pre math concepts in their vocabulary to express their ideas and views in real life. Example ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œ ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“That hotel is very far , we will go to the hotel which is very near, My mama is tall than me, First break is cold and second break food is hot.ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â