Syllabus for the October 2017 Exams :
We would have Parts 1 and 2 for the term 1 exams : Language in Cultural context (part 1) and Language and Mass Communication (part 2).
SL topics : Part 2 are textual bias, use of persuasive language, popular culture. Part 1 are gender, sexuality, language and taboo
HL topics : Part 2: Popular culture, Use of persuasive language and Textual Bias and Stereotypes. Part 1 : Gender and Sexuality
Details of Paper 1
For HL, students would get two sets of texts and they would have to write a comparative analysis on any one set, the duration for the paper is 2 hours.
For SL, students would get two texts and they would have to write an analytical answer on any one of them and the duration for the paper is 1 hour 30 minutes.
Paper 1 (70% weighting) Students are asked to write an analysis of one of the texts, including comments on the significance of any possible contexts, audience, purpose and the use of linguistic and literary devices.
The texts for analysis are not necessarily related to specific parts of the syllabus. Different non-literary text types are included, for example:
- transcripts of various kinds (documentary, soap opera…)
- comic strips / cartoons
- online articles
- opinion column
- extract from an essay
- electronic text (such as social networking sites, blogs)
- brochure (such as a public information leaflet)
- extract from a memoir, diary or other autobiographical text (HL only).
Students are required to analyse and comment on the text in the light of their understanding of its possible text type, context, audience and purpose. In order to achieve this, students need to analyse structure, language and style in addition to aspects such as text type, context, bias and/or ideological position.
The assessment criteria for Paper 1 are:
- Criterion A : Knowledge and Understanding of the text
- Criterion B: Understanding of the use and effects of stylistic features
- Criterion C : Organization and development
- Criterion D : Language
Each criterion weighs 5 points and hence the total is 20.
We will also have an internal assessment component, the weighting of which will be 30%. The details with how to attempt etc., has been discussed in detail in classes. Students will attempt an FOA on any of the topics from Part 1 or Part 2. Their score will be taken as IA for term 1. This will be on the day after the written papers are over. Dates will be sent along with the timetable.
- Criterion A : Knowledge and Understanding of the text (10 marks)
- Criterion B: Understanding of the use and effects of stylistic features (10 marks)
- Criterion C : Organization and development (5 marks)
- Criterion D : Language (5 marks)
This makes a total of 30 marks.